When I was a little girl, I thought that stripes and polka dots matched. OK, I still do, but that's besides the point. There are numerous pictures of me dolled up in outfits I put together. At the age of 5, I thought I was the next Coco--had I known what Chanel was!
As I grew older, that uniqueness continued. I paired vintage jackets with superman shirts. I loved putting band tee's with frilly skirts. I was all about making a statement--whether it was good or bad-- I was me and that was that. For some reason, after high school I thought I had to grow up. I donated all of my tee shirts to the Salvation Army--hey, at least they went back home right?! I went and bought (I shudder) blouses. I stopped wearing my Converse and wore what I thought were "grown up" shoes. All aboard! One ticket on the train to Uncomfortable, population--me, please!
As I am sure you have figured out, I have been doing a lot of soul searching lately. I have come to the conclusion that if I am happy wearing Chuck Taylors and watching Fairly OddParents--then dammit I am going to do it! I am no longer ashamed that I love watching iCarly, and I literally "lol" at least 4 times during each episode. Yes, I absolutely love reality TV and the Discovery Channel, but I can almost guarantee that I am watching NickToons if I am watching TV at all. Who cares if I wear socks that don't match? Or if I shudder at the mention of the word slacks. I am a good person! I pay most of my bills. I yield to pedestrians. So I will go to work tomorrow with my Disney princess lunch box and there isn't a thing you can say about it!
Kudos Megan! I am happy that you have come to the conclusion to accept yourself for WHO you are and not what you look like! The beauty comes from within and shines out for all to see :) Don't concern yourself about what others think of you, it's important to love yourself FIRST and FOREVER! That love will shine and others will appreciate your honesty!
ReplyDelete